The first place student winner will receive a $2500 award plus a $500 prize to their professor for introducing the material.
The second place student winner will receive a $1000 award.
ABOUT JUDITH E. BARLOW
Judith E. Barlow is a Professor Emeritus of English and Women’s Studies at the University of Albany, SUNY; received her B.A. from Cornell University and her PhD from the University of Pennsylvania; editor of Plays By American Women 1900-1930, Plays By American Women 1930-1960, and Women Writers of the Provincetown Playhouse; author of Final Acts: The Creation of Three Late O’Neill Plays, as well as numerous essays on American Drama.
2017: Leaf by Kara Jobe, Otterbien University (inspired by The Little Foxes by Lillian Hellman)
runner up: Water Strider/Jesus Bug by Alex Shannon, NYU (inspired by Trifles by Susan Glaspell)
2016: Her Own Devices by Lindsay Adams, Catholic University of America (inspired by Harvey by Mary Chase)
runner up: Doctor Scott by Aaron Scully, Unversity of Misouri (inspired by Plumes by Georgia Douglas Johnson)
2015: Three Landings and a Fire Escape by Selina Fillinger (inspired by Machinal by Sophie Treadwell)
runner up: Glad on 42nd Between Bruce B Downs and Fletcher Avenue by Jaime O’Brien, University of South Florida (inspired by A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry)
In order to apply, a student must be currently enrolled in (or have completed in the past 12 months) a class that is participating in History Matters/Back to the Future’s One Play At A Time: Historic Women Playwrights Initiative. Or for graduate students ONLY - with a professor's permission and guidance - they may commit to reading and studying six plays by historic women playwrights intead of participating in a One Play At A Time class.
APPLICATION PROCESS & DEADLINE
- Download and complete the Application Form.
- Submit the form with the one-act play (no longer than 50 pages). The play itself must be submitted WITHOUT the playwright's name anywhere on the document.
- A brief recommendation letter from your participating professor is required. It can be submitted by the student with their application or directly from the professor.
- The play, the completed application, and the recomendation letter should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submissions will be accepted between September 1, 2017 and December 30, 2017.